WRECKS

Wrecks

HMS MAORI

HMS MAORI

This 1959-ton Tribal Class British Destroyer, built by Fairfield in Govan, England, was launched on 2nd September 1937, with an overall length of 115m, breadth 11m, main armament 8 X 4.7in guns, 4 X 21in torpedo tubes, twin screws with a speed of 36 knots and a crew of 190 men. During World War II, HMS Maori was involved... Read more

SS MARGIT

SS MARGIT

  This 3496 ton passenger ship, 105.5 metres in length with a 13.7 metre beam, was built in 1912 by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee at La Seyne (Yard No. 1055) and named ‘Theodore Mante’ over the next twenty seven years her name was changed several times, Mustaapha II, Djebel Antar and Gatun, in 1939 she was re-named Margit.... Read more

TUGBOAT ROZI

TUGBOAT ROZI

This 30m tugboat named Rozi, built in Bristol, England in 1958 by Charles Hill & Sons Ltd., for Johnston Warren Lines Ltd., of Liverpool and launched as Rossmore. She was renamed Rossgarth in 1969 and in 1972 was sold to Mifsud Brothers (Malta Ship Towage) Ltd., Malta, retaining her name. In the same year, she sailed from Liverpool to... Read more

P29 PATROL BOAT

P29 PATROL BOAT

  The patrol boat P29 formerly Boltenhagen, which now lies at a maximum depth of 38m off Cirkewwa, Malta’s most popular dive location, started life in former East Germany. The P29 is a Kondor class boat designed and built on the Peenewerft, Wolgast in East Germany in the 1960’s, 52 metres in length weighing 360 tons. It was primarily a... Read more

TUGBOATS – ST. MICHAEL & 10

TUGBOATS – ST. MICHAEL & 10

  The tugboats St. Michael and 10 were scuttled on the 16th May, 1998, as part of a plan to create an artificial reef at Zonqor Point in Marsascala.  At a maximum depth of 22m they are both upright on a flat sandy bottom and have created an oasis for marine life, transforming an ecologically barren area into a shore... Read more

UM EL FAROUD

UM EL FAROUD

  The ill-fated tanker Um El Faroud was scuttled on Wednesday, 2nd September 1998, three and a half years after the explosion that killed nine dockyard workers in Grand Harbour, Valletta.  This tragic event shocked the people of Malta.  Her final voyage started in the early hours of the morning, arriving off Wied iz-Zurrieq around 9:30hrs.  It then took over... Read more

X127 Water Lighter (Coralita)

X127 Water Lighter (Coralita)

  In February 1915, Walter Pollock of James Pollock and Sons was sent for by Lord Fisher on behalf of the Admiralty.  Walter Pollock was asked to design and oversee the construction of 200 motor landing craft (support vessels) built for the 1915 Dardanelles landings in the Gallipoli campaign during World War I these were designated ‘X Lighters’. Read more

Le Polynesien

The Polynesien was built at La Ciotat in France like her sister ship “Australien”, “Armand Behic”, “Ville De La Ciotat”.  The ships were quickly recognisable by their length, low profile on the water, and by their double funnels painted black. The ships were painted white between 1895 till 1905. In 1891 she started operating between France and Australia, through the... Read more

HMS STUBBORN

HMS STUBBORN

  ‘P238’ was armed with 13 x 21 inch torpedoes. She has 6 bow torpedo tubes & 1 stern tube, 1 x 3” Gun in front of the conning tower and 1 x 20mm Oerlikon machine gun at the back. She had a crew of 44/48 under the command of Lieutenant Duff and later on in 1944 under Lieutenant Davies. Read more

MV IMPERIAL EAGLE

The Imperial Eagle made its maiden voyage between Malta & Gozo on 1/6/1958. It had been modified to accommodate 70 passengers with room for 10 cars. It remained on the Mgarr to Marfa route until March 1968.   MV IMPERIAL EAGLE   Location: 0.5 Kilometers off Qawra PointMaximum Depth: 40m Constructed: Launched: 1938Type: Passenger and Vehicle FerryWeight (tons): 257 gross tonnesDimensions: 45 meters... Read more

HMS SOUTHWOLD

HMS SOUTHWOLD

These destroyers had a top speed of 25 knots and were used for convoy escorts.   HMS Southwold had a crew of 168 men and carried 3 x 2 barrel 4” guns one at the bow and 2 aft sections. She also carried anti-aircraft guns, and anti-submarine depth charges. Read more

SCHNELLBOOT S-31(E-Boat)

SCHNELLBOOT  S-31(E-Boat)

The outside of S-Boats were covered by mahogany casing, with an internal hull of light metal. The mahogany would have rotted away.  S-31 had three Daimler Benz MB502 diesel engines = 4800 BHP total. With 3 propellers. Maximum speed 38 knots. Range - 800 sea miles at 30 knots.  Armament: 2 x 533 mm torpedo tubes, 2 x 20mm... Read more

TUGBOAT - P31

TUGBOAT -   P31

The P31 was primarily a mine sweeper in Germany . It was acquired by the Armed Forces of Malta in 1992 and spent 12 years patrolling our coastal waters. The P31 was the patrol boat that managed to save a record of 250+ migrants from drowning in one operation in 2002 . It was decommissioned by the Armed Forces... Read more

HMS RUSSELL

HMS RUSSELL

The HMS RUSSELL was built at Hull, laid down at Jarrow on the 11th March 1899 and launched in February 1901.  The HMS RUSSELL was a DUNCAN CLASS Battleship, distinguishable by the equally sized funnels, lower freeboard and lack of prominent ventilation cowls.  Armour had to be sacrificed in order to increase speed whilst a the same time reducing... Read more

MV XLENDI

MV XLENDI

The vessel was bought by Gozo Channel in February 1990 for Lm327, 000, the Xlendi was meant to serve as a cargo carrier between Malta and Gozo, augmenting the service provided by the MV Ghawdex (the latter is currently out of service as well). Read more

KARWELA

KARWELA

MV karwella came to malta from west germany in december 1986 and in may 1992  it was purchased by captain morgan cruises and was used as a passenger ferry. Read more

MV COMINOLAND

MV  COMINOLAND

MV KARWELLA AND MV COMINOLAND lie at 42m and 60m away from  each other. Read more

Le Polynesien

  The Polynesien was built at La Ciotat in France like her sister ship “Australien”, “Armand Behic”, “Ville De La Ciotat”.  The ships were quickly recognisable by their length, low profile on the water, and by their double funnels painted black. The ships were painted white between 1895 till 1905. In 1891 she started operating between France and Australia, through the... Read more